Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Charity Auction: A Smashing Success

My buddy Al Hallonquist and I are co-moderators of the Astronaut Yahoo Group with about 500 members. The prime focus of the group is collecting astronaut related memorabilia.

As I mentioned a few days ago, Al and I decided to run a Hurricane Katrina Charity Auction. Group members would donate items to the auction with 100% of the proceeds going to the Red Cross or Salvation Army. We ended up with over 80 lots donated to the auction. We opened the auction to group members and/or anyone else that found about it on the various space collecting sites. I created the webpage and updated it with the bids every night.

The auction closed last night with $5,170 in charitable bids!! A smashing success. When we started last week we were hoping for a few grand at best.

I'm still on Cloud 9. ;-)

No comments: