Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2006

A Tale of Two 9.2s

I've been in the market for a 9.0 or better copy of Amazing Spider-man 151 for some time. I recall having this book as a kid -- in fact I still have my beater original copy. It's a pricey book in high grade due to the fact that the dark cover is notorious for showing the slightest spine stress. A CGC 9.8 copy recently sold on ebay for around $1,000. Obviously, that is way out of what I want to spend on this book, but one can occasionally find a 9.2ish copy for a small fraction of the 9.8 price.

So, I ordered a copy advertised as 9.2 from a major metropolitan dealer. At first glance, it looked great.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But then my eye caught this on the right edge:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Obviously, a 9.2 NM- can't have a 2 inch thumb crease and a tear. So, I sent it back.

Next, I found a 9.2 copy being advertised by SoCal Comics. A gorgeous true 9.2... I'm not crazy about miswraps, but I can live with this one:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

I wonder if the "major metropolitan dealer" is metropolis? I have bought stuff from them that has been slightly over-graded. They have great customer service though.